Resources for Current Students

People you should know:

PMA's Student Programs Office ( can help with administrative issues that physics graduate students are likely to encounter at Caltech. Specifically for scheduling your written exams, oral candidacy exam and thesis defense, problems with funding or paychecks, when you join a research group or switch to a new research advisor, handling various types of leaves, when your funding changes; i.e. if you receive an outside fellowship award or you need a teaching assignment, and if you move house or office.
Sofie Leon, Graduate Program Director
Mika Walton, Graduate Affairs Administrator

Physics Option Representative: Jonas Zmuidzinas monitors your academic progress and signs most of the graduate forms and petitions you are likely to encounter. Send a list of courses you wish to use in satisfaction of the advanced requirement to Jonas for approval. Jonas also assigns TA duties, contact Jonas if you are interested in a teaching assignment.

Physics Executive Officer: Gil Refael monitors graduate student policies in the department including the course and exam requirements. Gil will sign your forms and petitions if Jonas is not available. Gil also approves your oral candidacy exam and final thesis defense committee.


Applying for a travel grant:

Physics Graduate Students may apply for the David and Barbara Groce travel fund, which covers up to $500 annually, for travel and registration to attend scientific conferences/meetings. To apply, please fill out the application found here.  Additional travel funding can be applied for through the Graduate Studies Office.

Graduate Studies Office
The Graduate Studies Office website is where you can find:
-Petitions (e.g. Change of Advisor, Detached Duty, Late Registration, Late Add/Drop etc.)
-Application for Student Emergency Fund
-Conference Travel Support

Update your Division Profile on our website

Academic Calendar

Athletics & Recreation

Career Development Center


Center for Diversity

Center for Teaching, Learning & Outreach (CTLO)

Counseling Center

Fellowships Advising and Study Abroad

Graduate Student Council

Graduate Student Opportunities

Health Center

Registrar's Office

Title IX Office